The Mathematics Department, subject to the availability of departmental funds, offers limited funding for graduate students to travel to present their work at conferences and workshops.
Each mathematics graduate student who has passed the oral general exam is eligible to apply for \$500 per year (begins July 1) to support travel to a conference. This is intended for those who are presenting their work. Other conferences or workshops will be considered on a case by case basis. Requests for support beyond the standard amount will require a note from the advisor and approval of the department head.
The departmental support can be requested by emailing the Director of Graduate Studies, describing the conference and travel to be supported. The following information should be provided:
- The name and dates of the event.
- Whether you are a speaker or participant.
- Evidence that you have been accepted to attend, such as:
- The conference website listing you as a speaker or participant.
- A registration receipt or letter of invitation.
After approval of the funding, you should consult with the Math Department Business Manager (Jolie Cornay) for assistance with the necessary travel forms.
Other Travel Funding Sources
You should also search for other sources of travel support. Some possibilities include:
- Individual Research Grant. A students dissertation advisor may have travel support funds available through an individual research grant. You may ask your dissertation advisor about this possibility.
- Conference Funding. You should check if the conference organizers have travel funding available.
- Graduate School Travel Awards. The LSU Graduate School administers the Graduate Student Association Travel Awards.
- American Mathematical Society Graduate Student Travel Grants. Travel Grants for two types of AMS meetings are available from the AMS. Visit the AMS Graduate Student Travel Grants page for more information.
- SIAM Student Travel Awards. SIAM Student Travel Awards are given to help students gain the experience and exposure that comes from attending and presenting at SIAM conferences. Visit the SIAM Student Travel Awards page for more information.