Detailed information on all LSU scholarships and awards is available in the office of Student Aid and Scholarships.
The following opportunities are of special interest to math students:
- 1. Betti and Robert Giles Senior Mathematics Award
- This is the Math Department's most prestigious award for undergraduate students.
- 2. Pasquale Porcelli Undergraduate Scholarships
- These are one-year awards. They are supported by the Pasquale Porcelli Mathematics Fund. Each year, up to three undergraduate scholarships of $500 each may be awarded: one award (called the “Junior Scholarship”) made at the end of the spring semester of the sophomore year becomes effective in the Fall of the junior year, and two awards (called “Senior Scholarships”) made at the end of the Spring semester of the junior year become effective in the Fall of the senior year. The junior scholarship awardee will be eligible for consideration for a senior scholarship. The selection committee will base its decision on the students' merit and promise in the study of mathematics as indicated by academic record and letters of recommendation from teachers. During the year of the award, the recipient must be a full-time undergraduate student on this campus.
More details and instructions on applying for the Porcelli scholarships.
- 3. Peg and Tom Madden Mathematics Research Scholarship
- Two or more scholarships will be awarded in the Fall of 2021. Applications should be submitted to Stephen Shipman or Soula O'Bannon by March 1, 2021. The application consists of (1) A statement of research endeavors and future plans, (2) A statement of involvement in mathematics education, (3) Two letters of recommendation.
- 4. Demarcus D. Smith III Undergraduate Scholarship
- This scholarship is no longer available.
- 5. Margaret Oxley Mathematics Education Award
- This scholarship is awarded annually in the spring.
- 6. Astronaut Scholarship Foundation
- LSU is one of forty participating universities. Contact Prof. Shipman for more information on how to apply. The deadline for 2021 is on Feb. 28.
The application form can be downloaded below.
- 7. LSU High School Mathematics Contest Scholarship
- The winner of the LSU Mathematics Contest for high school students receives a monetary scholarship to attend LSU.
- 8. Mu Alpha Theta Scholarships
- The Louisiana Chapter of Mu Alpha Theta and National Mu Alpha Theta offer college scholarships to high school members of Mu Alpha Theta.
- 9. STEM Scholarships
- NSF funded scholarships of \$3,600 per year are available to students in STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math). Awards are based on economic need and good scholastic standing. Applications are accepted during fall and spring semesters. For complete requirements and application forms visit the scholarship webpage or send an email to the Program Coordinator at email@example.com.
- 10. Student Jobs
- Student jobs are available to qualified mathematics students in the math lab in Middleton Library as tutors offering help to other algebra and calculus students.