Detailed information on all LSU scholarships and awards is available in the office of Student Aid and Scholarships.
The following opportunities are of special interest to math students:
- 1. LSU High School Mathematics Contest Scholarship
- The winner of the LSU Mathematics Contest for high school students receives a monetary scholarship to attend LSU.
- 2. Mu Alpha Theta Scholarships
- The Louisiana Chapter of Mu Alpha Theta and National Mu Alpha Theta offer college scholarships to high school members of Mu Alpha Theta.
- 3. STEM Scholarships
- NSF funded scholarships of \$3,600 per year are available to students in STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math). Awards are based on economic need and good scholastic standing. Applications are accepted during fall and spring semesters. For complete requirements and application forms visit the scholarship webpage or send an email to the Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4. Betti and Robert Giles Senior Mathematics Award
- This is the Math Department's most prestigious award for undergraduate students.
- 5. Pasquale Porcelli Undergraduate Scholarships
- These are one-year awards. They are supported by the Pasquale Porcelli Mathematics Fund. Each year, up to three undergraduate scholarships of $500 each may be awarded: one award (called the "Junior Scholarship") made at the end of the spring semester of the sophomore year becomes effective in the Fall of the junior year, and two awards (called "Senior Scholarships") made at the end of the Spring semester of the junior year become effective in the Fall of the senior year. The junior scholarship awardee will be eligible for consideration for a senior scholarship. The selection committee will base its decision on the students' merit and promise in the study of mathematics as indicated by academic record and letters of recommendation from teachers. During the year of the award, the recipient must be a full-time undergraduate student on this campus.
More details and instructions on applying for the Porcelli scholarships.
- 6. Demarcus D. Smith III Undergraduate Scholarship
- 7. Astronaut Scholarship Foundation
- LSU is one of forty participating universities. Contact Prof. Shipman for more information on how to apply. The deadline for 2019 is on Feb. 20.
- 8. Student Jobs
- Student jobs are available to qualified mathematics students in the math lab in Middleton Library as tutors offering help to other algebra and calculus students.