The application for graduate study in mathematics consists of the Graduate School Application, together with some specific math department requirements. The Graduate School Application must be submitted online at
Instructions for filling out the online application are on the first page of the application. You will be asked to submit:
- Personal information/addresses
- Degree program (PhD or MS) that you are applying for. You do not need an MS degree to apply for the PhD.
- Education and work history.
- Transcripts The Graduate School requires official transcripts before you can be officially admitted. For the purposes of departmental evaluation, it is recommended that an unofficial transcript (for instance a scanned copy in PDF format) be uploaded in the attachment section for each school attended.
- GRE General Test scores. These should be submitted in the test scores section and official scores should be sent by Educational Testing Service to the LSU Graduate School.
- International students whose native language is not English and/or who have been educated outside of the U.S. in a country or province where English is not the only official language must demonstrate proof of English proficiency by submitting scores from the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System), or PTE (Pearson's Test of English).
This is a Graduate School requirement. The minimum scores needed for admission are:
- TOEFL: 79 on the internet based exam, 550 on the paper based exam, or 213 on the computer-based test.
- IELTS: 6.5
- PTE: 59
- Three letters of recommendation from persons who are familiar with your qualifications to study graduate mathematics. On the Graduate School application, you will be asked for the names and email addresses of those you have asked to write letters. The individuals that you list will receive an email with the necessary information for them to upload the documents.
- Personal statement of purpose or objectives. It is preferred that this be uploaded in the attachment section as a PDF file.
- Upload a brief summary of previous teaching and research experience.
- A list of mathematics courses taken. Include the course name, text(s), instructor, and the grade received. You should use the following fillable PDF form. After completing the form, print it as a PDF, or print and scan it to a PDF, and upload in the attachment section. Some browsers do not allow for saving PDF forms directly; hence the need to print first..
- Research document/papers. This is OPTIONAL. This is provided for those applicants who have written research documents and/or papers and would like to include them with their application packet. Any included papers should be uploaded in the attachment section.
January 15- Priority Deadline for Admission and Financial Aid
A limited number of students may be admitted for Spring. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
October 15 - Deadline for All Applications