This site is no longer maintained
VIGRE@LSU offers a stipend of $1,500 per semester for undergraduate students to work with an LSU faculty member on research. The student will have to contact a faculty mentor and then submit a proposal to the VIGRE committee.
The proposal should include the following information:
- The name of the applicant
- Visa status, if not a US citizen
- Name of the mentor and supporting statement from that advisor
- Short description of the proposed research
The proposal is to be submitted by e-mail to VIGRE@LSU. The format should either be as a word or a pdf file.
- Rebekah Wascom worked with Dr. Charles Egedy. The research includes finding generators for the second homotopy groups of hyperplane arrangement complements in complex space where the arrangements are far from general position.
- Rebecca Hill worked with Dr. Peter Wolenski.
Fall 2009 & Spring 2010
- Philip Benge worked with Hongyu He. Philip Benge's project was identifying the equilibrium submanifold and its stability in a two-compartment model of a vesicle trafficking system. A lot of the intracellular activities, in particular the moving around of nutrients, are carried out by vesicle trafficking. Benge's project involved exploring the dissociation rates involved in the fusion and budding process and identifying the four possible branches. Please click here to read the report regarding Philip's work.
- Tristan Arbour worked with Stephen Shipman on statistical properties of scattering data and nonlinear layers. Please click here to read Dr. Shipman's report.
- Jonathan W. Gardener worked with F. Neubrander on an article Distance According to Elvis. It is planned to submit the article to College Mathematics Journal.